I had been looking for Orzo for years, in every super market and grocery store, at every high end food shop, and I finally found it on Bakkal, along with amazing Simit, Mante, and Burek. This recipe is inspired from a greek recipe for Shrimp & Feta, but adapted to allow me to add the Orzo in. I couldn’t stop eating it.
Shrimp & Orzo
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 200 g of Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon of Capers
- 2 Tablespoons of pitted green olives
- 200-300 grams of shrimp
- 200-300 grams of Orzo (or Risoni)
- A bunch of Parsley Chopped
- Half a block of Feta
- 1 Tablespoon of Lemon Zest
- Cleat the shrimp and butterfly them.
- Slice the Garlic into this slivers, and fry them in a wok in olive oil until golden.
- Throw in the tomatoes for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the capers and olives for another 2 minutes. Don’t be afraid to include some of the brine.
- Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes until they turn pink, then remove them and set them aside.
- In the meantime, cook to Orzo in salted water a couple minutes shy of the timing on the packaging.
- Add them to the wok, and mix, reserving the cooking water.
- Add some of the cooking water, half a cup at a time until the orzo is fully cooked.
- Once cooked through, add the shrimp back, give it a couple of stirs, then turn off the heat, add the chopped parsley, lemon zest, crumbled feta, and a dash of olive oil and eat immediately.
Tips: You can easily make this dish vegan by removing the shrimp and feta.
CategoriesBeirut Cities Travel Diary