Loubieh bel zeit, meaning Flat Green beans in oil, is a homely Vegan Lebanese dish, which was often an after school meal when we were growing up. Some prefer it without tomatoes, but I love roasting any old tomatoes with a bit of garlic and then using those to cook the stew. It gives it a deep comforting taste. I love to eat this dish warm, with Lebanese bread and cucumbers on the side, but its even more delicious the next day.
Loubieh bel Zeit
- 0.5Kg of Green Flat beans (or any kind of green beans you find)
- 1 Medium to large onion
- 300g of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of Olive oil (EVOO)
- 6-8 Garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
Roasting the Tomatoes
- Place the tomatoes with a dash of olive oil, salt to taste and 2-3 garlic cloves in the oven to roast
- When cooked, if possible, remove the skin
Cooking the Loubieh
- Cut the head and tail of the beans, then chop them into 5 cm chunks.
- In the meantime, chop the onion then fry it along with the remaining garlic cloves in a generous amount of Olive Oil.
- When the onion starts turns golden (this might take 10-15 minutes) add the green beans.
- Cook for a while, until they start to whither.
- Add the tomatoes & garlic cloves.
- Let cook for a long time, until the beans are no longer squeaky.