A friend of mine once said that she would like to have this dish as her last meal. Worry not it’s incredibly simple to make. The secret is in the seasoning. Funnily enough this dish always impresses everyone. Maybe because of the breading? or because in this day and age no one expects other people to deep fry things in their own home? Either way, this one is certain to be a dinner party favorite.
Veal Escalope Milanese
- The Zest of 2 Lemons
- Leafed thyme
- About half a box of breadcrumbs
- One egg
- 6-8 Veal escalopes (or alternatively 3-4 Veal chops)
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Salt and pepper the veal on both side.
- Prepare the breading by mixing the breadcrumbs, thyme and lemon zest with a dash of salt.
- Put an egg in a deep dish, and add a tablespoon of water. Mix everything up.
- Put the veal escalope into the egg mixture making sure it is fully covered.
- Dip it into the bread crumb mix, pushing the mix into the veal so that it sticks on both sides.
- Let the veal rest for a bit (especially if you just took it out of the fridge. You want the meat to be room temperature.
- In a deep pan pour some frying oil so that the oil is at least 1-2 cm deep.
- Heat the oil to frying temperature. Check that it’s hot enough by dropping some of the breadcrumbs in.
- Fry the Escalope for 2 minutes on each side then put on a kitchen paper towel to remove excess oil. If you are making them with Veal chops cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Serve this dish with a side of spaghetti Pomodoro or Aglio e Olio.